Director of Membership
The Director of Membership is responsible for raising over $2 million annually and ensuring that the Brooklyn Museum Membership experience surpasses expectations for our individual membership base of 17,000+ households. Our Membership program is poised for rapid growth over the next few years with a blend of special ticketed exhibitions and exhibitions highlighting the Museum’s mission and deep interest in social justice.
Reporting to the Deputy Director & Chief Development Officer, the Director of Membership oversees a team of four full-time employees and manages relationships with numerous consultants and vendors. They also work closely with the Individual Giving team to ensure seamless handoffs from Membership to annual giving and major gifts; promote Membership throughout the Museum in partnership with Visitor Experience and Engagement, Marketing, and Merchandising; and represent the Membership program to Museum leadership and as part of interdepartmental committees.
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- At least 8 to 10 years of membership marketing experience, preferably in a cultural organization in New York City/Brooklyn
- Extensive knowledge of nonprofit membership and/or the museum industry
- Understanding of multi-channel and direct response fundraising, as well as events, customer service, and back-end operations
- Thorough knowledge of fundraising databases, preferably Salesforce
- An interest in field-related best practices and commitment to consistent learning
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical, statistical, and problem solving abilities, as well as attention to detail
- Ability to plan, organize, and manage campaigns in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Powerful team-building and interpersonal abilities
- Ability to be professional, diplomatic, and discreet
- Strategically design and implement a high-performance Membership plan that advances the Brooklyn Museum brand, significantly increases our membership base, and builds donor loyalty for increased giving to Membership and the annual fund
- Design a calendar of aggressive and multi-channel acquisition, retention, and upgrade campaigns
- Advocate for Member interests, ensuring that they are considered one of our primary and most dedicated audiences
- Project Membership revenue and develop an annual operating budget, track ongoing expenditures, and ensure a cost-effective program
- Engage the Museum Director’s voice and establish a consistent, personalized recognition and retention approach that ensures Members feel deeply connected to the institution
- Work closely with departments throughout the Museum, as well as external consultants, to maximize opportunities related to our brand position and communication strategy
- Tap into the Museum’s creative culture to ensure finite resources are optimally utilized to realize visibility and revenue goals
- Work with other Development staff, including Corporate Relations, Special Events, and Major Gifts, to create an active pipeline for Members to upgrade and and/or convert to Annual Fund donors
- Collaborate with the Special Events team to create key events for Members and assess how to most effectively move people through a ladder of engagement related to their interests and levels of giving.
- Explore technical solutions such as predictive modeling to better understand patterns in growth potential
- Manage and mentor a team of four full-time staff members
- Represent the Membership program at a leadership level and participate in interdepartmental committees to engender internal buy-in for and excitement around the Membership program
- Advocate for the needs of the program, lead workshops and meetings on the importance of membership, and push for tech improvements as well as increased visibility onsite and online
Start date: Immediately
Reports to: Deputy Director & Chief Development Officer
Position type: Full-time
Union status: Non-union
FLSA status: Exempt
Schedule: 35 hours per week, Monday through Friday, 9 am to 5 pm, with occasional weekend and evening hours required
If you have questions about our online application system, please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
At the Brooklyn Museum, we value all types of experience. For us, a successful candidate has many of the qualities listed in our job postings, and the desire and capacity to learn the rest on the job. So if much, but not all, of a job posting describes you, then we welcome your application.